The New York Jets, following an angry protest by a sea of shouting mustaches, have bravely announced they will bench rifle-armed quarterback Chad Pennington this week after a relatively slow start of 1-7.
Here's a look at some other controversial benchings and personnel changes following slow, faulty starts.
- 1987 - Rob Deer and Mickey Tettleton benched after striking out a combined 483 straight times
- 1989 - Jim Powers released from WWF contract after record 790th consecutive loss
- 1991 - Intriguing prospect Jerrod Mustaf released by Knicks after only making 3 of his first 498 shots, and hitting the rim on 35 of them
- 1992 - Arizona Cardinals bench Timm Rosenbach in favor of robot maid after lethargic 0-10 start
- 1993 - Anthony Young pulled from Mets rotation after losing 27 straight decisions (amazingly true)
- 1995 - Dallas QB Babe Laufenberg benched after 22 straight pass completions went to defensive backs
- 1998 - Expos lineup and the nine fans in attendance switch roles after monstrous 16-run inning by Braves
- 2000 - Chuck Knoblauch benched after throwing ball from second base in Yankee Stadium to first base in Shea Stadium, his 9th error of the afternoon
- 2001 - Tim Floyd controversially fired from Bulls following promising record of 6-142 after two seasons
- 2005 - Royals finally field 1st baseman after porous defense leads to uneasy 1-38 start